Found this perusing my old Livejournal. If I remember correctly I threw this together in response to the Microlite craze. It’s a a neat game sketch; some of its ideas eventually found their way into the Mage Chroniclers Guide. Anyway, now that this is the place for game sketches I thought you’d like it!
This is a super-streamlined version of the World of Darkness rules.
Attributes: Start with 1 dot in each and divide 5 dots between:
- Power: Strength, Aggressiveness, Force
- Finesse: Discretion, Precision, Quickness
- Resistance: Toughness, Counterbalance, Determination
5 is the maximum but it does not cost 2 of these dots.
Skills: Divide 7 dots between these Skills:
- Mental: Education, Thinking, Reasoning
- Physical: Athletics, Fitness, Martial Arts
- Social: Interpersonal Talent, Diplomacy, Etiquette
Max 5 each-the 5th dot costs 2 dots.
- Speed: Finesse + Physical + 5
- Health: Resistance + 5
- Willpower: Resistance + Mental
- Morality: 7. Choose one Virtue and one Vice.
Merits: Choose 7 dots of Merits. each Merits tops out at 5 dots each, and the 5th dot costs 2 dots.
- Give each Merit a specific Attribute/Skill combination and a descriptor.
- When the Merit applies (by descriptor and Att/Skill field) to a die roll, you may re-roll one failed die per Merit dot.
Equipment: Choose 7 dots of Equipment. A 5 dot item is so awesome the 5th dot costs 2 dots, as usual.
- Describe the items.
- Equipment adds 1 die to your roll per dot on actions that make sense for them to boost, or add 1 to a Resistance value per two dots.
Supernatural Characters: Each of the following traits starts at 1 dot except for Talent — it starts at 0. Add 5 dots. You may not start with a 5th dot in any single trait.
- Rank (Primal Urge, Blood Potency, etc.): This gives you an Essence pool of 10, + 1 per additional Rank.
- Subtract dice from incoming powers equal to the degree by which your Rank exceeds that of the supernatural dude zapping you.
- Each Rank dot also gives you a free dot to add to one of your Attributes. You can boost Attributes beyond 5 this way. You must assign bonus dots to all three Attributes within each 5 Rank dots.
- Origin (Thyrsus, Ventrue, etc.): This adds to your Mental, Physical and Social Skills when you use the group’s special powers — stuff like clan Disciplines and Path Arcana.
- Society (Summer Court, Silver Ladder, etc.): These act like additional Merit dots, linked to the group’s specialties.
- Talent: This is a supernatural ability common among your kind but not part of your Society or Origin.
- This can be slightly broader than a by-the-book power — “Supernatural Athleticism,” not “Celerity.”
Roll dice at the standard difficulty, but there are no opposed or extended rolls. All dice rolls are:
- Attribute + Skill + Equipment – Resistance + Equipment
- Teamwork works like multiple attacks. The best participants go first. Each additional participant reduces the Resistance by 1.
- Spend an Essence to use a power. If the power is a buff, just add the dice/Resistance as indicated by character Origin. If the power is a extraordinary thing mundane humans can’t do, just roll your Origin + dice pool to do that thing.
- Subtract Rank from dice pools belonging to powers targeting Superior Rank Guy.
There isn’t much more — it’s just a sketch, after all. I may have to juggle relative powers again — I could go a couple of ways with this (and did, fooling around).